Online Payment Methods

swavobridal.com has 2 options to make payments online: 

Credit Card: which allows you to make a credit card payment directly on our website as our website has been integrated with PayPal merchant gateway. We accept VISA, VISA Debit, Mastercard, Maestro, Solo, Discover and American Express (US Only). You can enter your credit card details on our website which is 100% secure as we have SSL Encryption so none of your credit card details are stored on our website but are passed directly to PayPal to process. Your account will be charged once the order is completed. 

PayPal: alternatively you can checkout via PayPal website where your order and billing address will be sent to the PayPal website so you can complete your payment with a credit card or PayPal account. Your account will be charged once the order is completed. To register for a PayPal account, visit the website paypal.com.

All bespoke orders will require full payments.

Instore Payment Methods

Swavo accepts all major credit cards at our retail store. For all bespoke orders placed instore, you will be required to make a deposit of 60% and remaining balance of 40% to be paid once the order is ready for collection. Your account will be charged the full deposit value on the day the order is placed and balance will be charged on the day the order is collected. If you are unable to collect your bespoke order once it arrives we can process credit card payments over the phone and then dispatch your order by tracked delivery.

Tax Information

Purchasing on swavobridal.com is reserved for end consumers. All our prices are inclusive of VAT.

For each order, swavobridal.com issues an invoice; the document will be sent as an attachment in the Shipping Confirmation email. An invoice is also included with your packing slip when the order has been dispatched by courier.
A copy can also be located by checking your order in your My Account section.

Please note: once the order has been confirmed, there is no way to modify the details you have entered and it is not possible to issue a new invoice.

Web Security

We adopt security measures that are sufficient to reduce the risks of destruction or loss of data – even if accidental – to a minimum, to impede unauthorised access, illicit types of processing and processing that is not in accordance with the purposes of collection as indicated in our Privacy Policy.

However, Swavo cannot guarantee its users that the security measures adopted to protect the site, data transmission and information on the site, limit or exclude any risk whatsoever of unauthorised access or dispersion of data via user devices: we advise you to ensure that your computer is equipped with appropriate software to protect data transmission on the network, both incoming and outgoing (such as up to date antivirus systems) and that your Internet service provider has also adopted adequate security measures to protect network data transmission (such as a firewall and anti-spamming filters).

How do we protect your information?

On swavobridal.com every purchase is made with maximum security thanks to the use of Geotrust-certified secure servers and the implementation of the most advanced encryption services (SSL). We only use protected connections, as demonstrated by the “https” URL prefix and the lock symbol that appears in the browser’s address bar. We do not store any financial transaction details on our website as all payments are processed by PayPal (Payment Processor).